To ensure your bills accurately reflect the amount of energy (or water) you’re using, it’s good to provide meter readings every few months. It’s also important to provide opening meter readings around the date you move in and/or the date you switch over to Octopus Energy through acasa.
Finding the meter in your home
There’s no one place to find the meter, but here are some common places to look!
- Near the door, in a small boxed in area or cupboard.
- Under the stairs or in the basement
- In a communal cupboard or area (in a block of flats).
- In the basement
- Outside your home, near the street (gas and water only; electricity will be in a dry place!)
- No gas meter? Do you have a (gas) boiler for hot water, or use gas for cooking? If not, you probably don’t have a gas supply at all.
- No water meter? No problem – many homes don’t have one, and instead are charged a fixed rate regardless of how much water is used.
If you can’t find your meter after looking around, you could ask your landlord or even a neighbour who might help.
Reading your utility meter
Our friends at Octopus Energy have a great article about how to read the numbers off your meter. The key thing is to ignore any red numbers or decimal points in the reading you give us.
Submitting the meter reading to us
There are a few ways to submit meter readings;
- Through the acasa app (for iOS or Android); go to “Manage Services” and you’ll see your utility meters.
- Through our website – click ‘acasa Services’ then ‘Meter Readings’.
- Directly to the supplier. You can send meter readings directly to your supplier.
If you have any problems or questions finding your meters or sharing your readings, you can always get in touch via in-app chat or using the links at the bottom of this page! 🙂