A letter from Nick Katz, CEO & Co-Founder of acasa
To Our Homes,
When we first started Splittable our goal was to build a company that harmonised the home. Yet as Splittable evolved, we felt the name confined us to only helping ‘housemates splitting bills’ while we wanted to offer you so much more.
We decided to change our name to acasa to show we can help you run your home in more ways than splitting the bills. We want acasa to be the app you use in your very first home all the way through to your very last. In the future you’ll be able to log-in and log-out of any property, and the app will manage everything in between.
To break things down into a little more detail for you, here are the core reasons we’ve changed our name and updated our brand:
We wanted a name that resonates no matter who you are sharing your home with.
- Whether it’s with students, young professionals, your partner or your children, acasa can help you manage your home (and eventually with further automation, simply run it for you!)
- As Splittable more than 50% of our signups were couples, yet many of the couples we talked to thought they were incorrectly using an app built for students.
- acasa is here to help you manage your home whether you live in a student home with 10 others or if you live in a house you own with your spouse.
We wanted to offer you more services beyond bill splitting.
- You will still have all the same bill splitting functionality as before but now you can also set up our first two home services directly inside the app.
- Today as part of our rebrand to acasa we are launching the ability to set up and manage your broadband and energy bills directly inside the app.
- We plan to add additional features in the upcoming months to help you manage other household bills such as water, council tax, TV license and more.
- We also have partnerships in the wings with some really exciting on demand service providers who offer services we know are important to many of you like handymen, cleaners and laundry.
- We want to hear from more of you about what services and products you’d love us to help negotiate on your behalf and deliver to you directly through our app, to your home.
We wanted to provide an improved visual identity that makes you feel at home.
- We have decided to revert to a light theme and simpler colour palette – and plan to introduce more UX and interactions to make engaging with acasa delightful.
- This change in colour palette should help make the data you care about, clearer.
- It will pave the way for us to be able to provide you beautiful data visualisations, analytics, and even the cheeky illustration and animation once in awhile.
- You’ll also be able to personalise the app over time – so keep a look out for an update here in the not too distant future!
- We want your acasa app to feel like it’s your digital home.
I would like to thank everyone who has supported Splittable over the last three years and hope you continue with us on our journey, which is your home journey, just now as acasa.
We look forward to continue to offer you a platform with more and more functionality to run your home (so you don’t have to!).
Now stop reading this blog post and go enjoy your life!
Nick Katz, CEO & Co-Founder
Check out our new site – helloacasa.com.
Some extra answers:
What happens to my Splittable account(s)?
Your account will continue as usual. Login details will remain the same and your acasa app will have all the same functionality/history from your Splittable app. You can continue to use the acasa app to track and split expenses.
If you live in the United Kingdom and have been using Pay with Splittable for in-app payments all of your payment/bill information will be transferred to the acasa app and you can use as acasaPay.
What happens to my app?
When you open your Splittable mobile app you will be able to update to the new acasa version. The app has changed name but it will keep all of your spending history and still offer all of its previous functionality. Any payment information from Pay with Splittable does not need to be updated.
If you live in the UK, you will also get to see additional functionality to set up and manage your gas, electricity and broadband bills inside the app.
I don’t live in the UK, can I use acasa for in-app payments or to set up services?
At this time in-app payments and services will only be available for households in the United Kingdom. However, we hope to quickly offer these services in additional countries. If you would like to see in-app payments or services in your country, you can submit your email and country here. We will notify you as soon as it gets built. 😃
How did you pick the name acasa?
When we started looking at new names, we knew we wanted a name focused around the home. We started with ‘casa’ which is a root used to mean house/home in 19 languages. We eventually settled with adding an ‘a’ to the front. We are thrilled to have a name that doesn’t just represented home for English speakers, but it is a word that many people identify with their homes worldwide.